Thursday, November 03, 2005

 

Katherine G. Speaks, Part II


My remarks are in italics, and Ms. Goodman's are in boldface. This is from an e-mail exchange, obviously.

Part of the reason the Daria Fandom Blog was created
was to provide a one-stop shop where people wouldn't
have to slog through 1000 message board posts to
figure out what was going on in Daria fandom. If
you had a chance to read anything, I hope that it
was some use.


I did read through some of it - actually, I spent a few hours last night looking through sites like the Daria Fandom Blog, the PPMB, and a few livejournals just to see where the fandom had gone since my days of involvement. The feeling is similar to looking through my old high school yearbooks, to be honest - a sort of pleasant nostalgia.

I still have a few questions for you, on behalf
of Daria fandom, if I might be so adventurous to
ask them.

1. Do you mind if I publish the general particulars
of your letter on the Daria Fandom Blog? At least,
parts 1 through 4 of your reply? (Your e-mail will
not be included, BTW.) I'm sure that many of the
older fans will want to know that you're still alive
and kicking!


I don't mind if you publish the email. I don't imagine that many people will care much, but I'm flattered that you're even offering. You can even publish it verbatim if you like.

2. Are you open for questions from other fans,
i.e., if someone has something to ask that I don't
think of asking now, can I send them in the future?


Sure, that's fine. Like I said, I don't mind if interested individuals want to talk to me for any reason, though it should be known that I'm really not at all knowledgeable of the fandom or the show anymore. I'm just trying to keep my present identity a bit more incognito, yanno?

3. Was there any particular reason why
alt.lawndale.com was closed down, aside from
the usual reasons (financial upkeep or time)?


Simply put, the site closed down because I was sick of the fandom. The group involved had grown from a small, intelligent cluster capable of intelligent and witty conversation and discussion to a bunch of idiotic children who had no appreciation for the time and energy that running a large fansite takes. All they wanted was to take, take, take and never to give anything back. All the rewarding feelings and happiness that I used to derive from my fandom participation died, and I became increasingly scornful of 85% of the visitors to the message board and the site.

Another factor was that I was growing out of touch with the fandom because I stopped watching the show for the most part after Season 2. I was having a terribly difficult freshman year of college which caused me to lose touch with a lot of things I had enjoyed in the past. Anyone who frequented #daria+ (wherever it was at the time) was well aware of my rampant self-deprecation and irritatingly depressive behavior just before I left the fandom for good. During that time, I had also become an extremely obsessive anime fan, and most if not all of my cartoon-watching energy was devoted to that.


4. Did you continue to keep up with the show
after you left Daria fandom?


Nope. I have seen an episode or two since then, but I've still never seen the majority of Season 3 or any of Season 4 or the movies.

a) If "no", what were the reasons you stopped
watching, and when did you stop?


See above. I think I stopped after Season 2.

b) If "yes", then what are your impressions regarding
the series? What was your favorite season/episode?


I still think of all the episodes, my favorite was the final episode of season 1 and also "Run, Jane, Run." Jane was my favorite character and I relate the best to her, even today, so episodes that were mostly about her always ranked high on my list.

My impression of the series is a bit different now than it was then - I have changed drastically as a person since my days in Daria fandom, specifically I am far less pessimistic, negative, and judgmental regarding myself and others. So I look at Daria's sarcasm as less of a common point between her and I and more of something that I understand but don't relate as much to anymore. Which isn't to say that the show is bad, just that I don't feel the same way about it now as I did in 1997.


5. What kind of reaction did you get from "Ragged
Denim" after it was published?


I honestly don't remember much, believe it or not. That was during my sunset days of the fandom, so I think it was published shortly before I stopped participating in Daria-related activities at all. I remember the intelligentsia being amused by the story and the masses going, "Ew, that's gay!"

6. If specific fans do ask for your e-mail, should I
send it to them? (I won't post it in public.)


Sure, feel free.

7. What are you doing for a living? (You don't have
to be specific, just general.)


I'm actually in the process of a shift right now, but I'm about to make the transition from several years of unfulfilling administrative work to a career path position. Unlike my girl Jane, I've always been a little corporate monkey.

8. What other fandom are you involved in now?
(Once again, no specific details.)


I'm not an active "fan" of anything right now - I have a terribly hard time following TV shows and I don't read like I used to. I was involved heavily in anime/manga fandom for some time and I guess if I have a "fandom" that is it - I actually hold a management position at one of the major anime conventions in the USA and waste a lot of my time with that niche of the geek universe.

9. Do you still keep up with any Daria websites or
message boards, as a lurker?


Nah, not before last night. I try to avoid forums and message boards in general. Too much bickering and drama. :)

I apologize for being so bothersome. I merely wish
to let other long-time Daria fans know that you are
"alive and well in your new location". :)


No problem. It's almost like being interviewed or something. What a strange trip. :) Thanks for emailing back!

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

stats count