Wednesday, May 10, 2006

 

Due to Technical Difficulties ...


First, a follow-up. Of the Lawndale High Wrestling Foundation video mentioned in the previous post, Wilder (Kara Wild) writes in a comment:
How are we supposed to view the video anyway? I click on one of the links and it gives me gobblygook. The screen cap suggests it can be viewed with Quick Time, but mine rejects the files.
All the .RAR archives must be downloaded and then uncompressed and concatenated with a utility that understands the .RAR format. I'm on Mac OS X and I used UnRarX, an open source tool. I don't know what Windows utility will work, but I suspect WinZip might do it.

I didn't bother checking Internet Explorer on Windows, but Safari on Mac didn't handle the .RAR archives properly: when the links are simply clicked, Safari displays the sort of garbage one sees when a text editor tries to display binary data, and when control-clicked to download, Safari added the extension ".txt" to the archives. Firefox on Mac (my default configuration) did the correct thing when the links were clicked, and downloaded the .RAR files to my desktop without appending any extention. I then simply dragged the first file in the list into UnRarX and it uncompressed them into a single video.

I promised CINCGREEN I wouldn't editorialize on Daria fandom here. Since nothing was discussed about religious issues such as technology preferences, I figure I'm safe to weigh in on Safari versus Firefox: Firefox on Mac sure looks and feels a lot more like a native Mac OS X application to me than Safari, to say nothing of working with a number of sites that make Safari choke.

Of general interest: Totalitarianate has created a petition urging The N to show Daria at a more reasonable time slot.

At the Paperpusher's Message Board:

Fan art: another screen grab from the aforementioned Lawndale High Wrestling Foundation video.


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

stats count