Thursday, February 22, 2007

 

SFMB Postscript


I’ve been informed that Thea Zara has now turned over management of the SFMB to Deref. I hadn’t known that, I’m glad she did so, and I’m glad he’s in charge. If any of my comments yesterday came across as having criticized Deref’s not keeping up with maintenance, they were not meant that way, especially with my knowing that he’s been short on time — and I apologize.

Nobody would be more pleased than I to see SFMB regaining fanworks and discussion ferment, and it’s far better to have two major forums with different ideas as to how they are moderated.

I don’t see it as proper, though, to ignore or gloss over how it’s getting left out of the creative and discussion loops. That’s more a matter of reporting than it is of criticism, really. Fan venues come and go, and we all know that.

And, lastly, SFMB’s Flame Wars. I’ve never been shy about saying how I see that forum, and I won’t be now. I still see it as being entirely destructive, and a long-standing danger to good relations among fans. It’s nearly driven several people away, including me. (Don’t all of you say “if only it had” at once, please {rueful smile})

I’ve long believed that any community which puts up with such a place for hurling personal abuse is only injuring itself. I’ve long said to Thea, Deref, and others privately what I’ll say here: If keeping the dwindling newcomers, and long-timers, in this fan community is important, that flame forum ought to finally be removed.

Labels:


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

stats count